The Circulo del Liceo is the oldest club in Spain which retains its original location. In its history of more than 160 years it has seen great transformative changes, representing a large part of Barcelona’s and Catalonia’s civil society while entering into the spirit of modern times.
Thanks to its proximity to the Gran Teatro del Liceo – they are adjacent – and their common origins, among the Circulo’s members are a majority of the original proprietors of the Liceo prior to 1995, so that they continue to attend regularly the operas and concerts held in Barcelona’s lyric centre.
Inaugurated in November 1847 – slightly more than a half year after the opening of the Gran Teatro del Liceo – the Circulo offers its members an elegant ambience, including a number of meticulously kept salons – outstanding examples of Modernisme (Barcelona’s Art Nouveau period) – bay windows, a conference and audition room, restaurant, library and other services.
The exuberant Art Nouveau decoration which abounds in most of its spaces is well complemented by a significant collection of artistic works, especially paintings and sculptures, which are without equal in the city for their importance and excellent state of preservation. In 2010, for example, a set of engravings by Antoni Tàpies, dedicated to Richard Wagner, were added to redecorate the former game room on the second floor.